A Service for EveryoneFrom the moment you are in touch with us, throughout the funeral service, and for as long as you need us afterwards,we’re here for you. The Church of England is in every community, and has been helping people mark the end of life forgenerations. Anyone can have a Church of England funeral, whether churchgoer or not. When someone dies, we understandhow difficult this can be.
There’s so much to think about, but we can help you say your final goodbye in a way that really helps.
your sadness and loss
- We will celebrate and give thanks to God for the unique life of the person you knew and loved.
- We can support you, your family and friends before, during and after the funeral with friendship and prayer, understanding
- And in this difficult time, our experienced trained ministers can share a message of hope and comfort.We’ll be where you need us to beA Church of England funeral can take place in any one of these locations:
- In a church
- At the Crematorium
- At an outdoor woodland or green burial site
- In a cemetery
- Combination of Church and other locationThe Church of England has a very helpful website where everything you might need to know, is covered.Organising a Funeral : https://churchofenglandfunerals.org/organising-funeral/Going to a Funeral : https://churchofenglandfunerals.org/going-funeral/After a Funeral: https://churchofenglandfunerals.org/after-a-funeral/PrayersYou may wish to pray these words in the days before and after the funeral:God of Love,Surround those I love,Especially those I can no longer see.Be light in my darkness,Be hope in my fear,Be love in every moment,And give me grace to face each day ahead.AmenWe do not wait until the day of the funeral to pray for you and all those affected by the death of someone you knew and loved.Our church prays for all the families and friends of those who have died.RemembranceIf you would like to light a candle in memory of the person you knew and loved, you will be able to do this next time you visit our churchor alternatively visit https://churchofenglandfunerals.org/light-candle/ and light a virtual candle, which can then be shared through Social Media.We hold an annual service in November where we remember all those who have died particularly those who have died during the previous year.This service is advertised in both our church magazine ‘Compass’ and on our website. Invitations are usually sent out in advance to thefamilies of those who have had a funeral.Planning AheadFunerals can be on our minds for all sorts of reasons. If you’re thinking about sorting out your own funeral service plan, the Church of Englandwebsite also offers guidance on how to do that, and how it can really help your family when the time comes.Visit: https://churchofenglandfunerals.org/planning-ahead/